The objective of this group is to promote the writing process and create a fixed time to do so.
The topic, format and language you write in and about are irrelevant to the goal, though most people in this email are academics and working on articles, books, and/or reports.
Writing groups are normally face-to-face. This is the first time we have tried it online, and it actually works even better than face-to-face! The advantages of this modality is that no one is effected if someone has to get up and go to the bathroom or blow their nose. Other advantage is that there is also no travel time and everyone works from the comfort of their own space.
We all leave our cameras on so we «feel» like we’re sharing the same space, but we mute our microphones so no one hears anyone else.
Turn off your phones, close all other windows on your computer, bring your clear writing objectives, and come ready to crank out those papers, books, proposals, stories…! Everyone is welcome–just show up.
- Click the link to the Zoom room hyperlink (according to the day and time that is in the Meetings Time section)
- Introduce yourself and your writing objective(“My name is Tracey and I am trying to edit down the results of a study I did into an article acceptable for X journal.”)
- Clarify a specific goal (“I have had trouble shortening the Introduction, so in the next hour I am hoping to get it down to under 500 words.” [remember, reading can also be a part of the writing process!])
- Write for 60 minutes on the clock.
We strictly limit this meeting to writing, though we can chit-chat before or after. While we seek a cohesive group, this is not a social hour :) the goal is to write.
We emphasize the fact that no one will be reading the work you produce, nor will people be offering you feedback (unless you arrange this separately).
- Tuesdays 7h30-9h00 Quito time (8h30 Boston; 13h30 London; 14h30 Geneva/Berlin; 21h30 Tokyo). Zoom room (click here to join the session) or open a window in any browser and paste in this address: Join URL:https://harvard-dce.zoom.us/j/120265187
- Tuesdays 9h30-11h00 Quito time (10h30 Boston; 7h30 San Francisco; 15h30 London; 16h30 Geneva). Zoom room (click here to join the session) or open a window in any browser and paste in this address: Join URL:https://harvard-dce.zoom.us/j/120265187
- Thursdays 13h00 Quito time (8h00-9h30 Honolulu; 11h00-12h30 San Francisco; 14h00-15h30 Boston; 19h00 London; 20h00 Geneva). Zoom room (click hereto join the session) or open a window in any browser and paste in this address: Join URL:https://harvard-dce.zoom.us/j/404293261
There are no participation fees or any other commitment, except to come and write!
We hope everyone can find at least one session that works! Looking forward to getting some great writing done together!
If you have any question, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to Dee and Patricio at Cambridge for the idea!